Tommy Barnett was the senior pastor of Phoenix First Assembly of God in Arizona. His church was referred to as “The Church with a Heart” because of its more than 260 outreach ministries. Over the years and through its missionary efforts, it has experienced remarkable growth.
Barnett says the growth of his church really began the day he preached about prayer. In a homily, he invited the members of his congregation to hold prayer meetings in their homes. He also set up an intercession meeting in the church every Monday at six o’clock in the morning. Many people began to fast, pray and seek God earnestly. “When we started to pray,” he says, “things started to happen, many people came to Christ.”
But Tommy Barnett is also convinced that the key to building the Kingdom of God is bringing non-Christians to Sunday services: “Revival will stop as soon as we stop bringing the lost to church. Prayer alone is not enough. Prayer without works is dead (…). We are sometimes tempted to be either a praying church or an acting church, but we should be both…”.
Members of his church even go out into the streets to witness to the Gospel and a pastor is available twenty-four hours a day so that the faithful can bring him, at any hour, those who feel the need to come to Christ.
The role of pastors, he says, is to train the faithful for ministry and for evangelization. Everything a pastor need is in the pews. One day he asked the members of his congregation, “Why don’t you start a service for people in wheelchairs?” And one woman did. Now she brings ten people in wheelchairs to worship every week. Someone else started a ministry toward people with AIDS. Another started a group for bikers. Train people, the pastor explains, and ask them to get involved in a ministry towards others: “Tell them: Find out where God has called you and meet these people, then bring them to church every Sunday morning.”
- Pope Francis on Evangelization
- Revitalizing the Rural Parish for Mission
- Factors Leading to Christian Conversion
- Evangelizing Through Random Acts of Kindness
- Questions To Start Spiritual Conversations
- Three Feet From Gold
- Spreading the Gospel One Act at a Time
- Gather, Witness and Invite
- Prayer to Receive the Spiritual Gifts of The Holy Spirit
- The Language of Evangelization
- Key Factors for Parish Growth According to Rich Birch
- How to defeat Satan?
- Bringing Love, Hope and Healing Through the Gospel
- Love: Our Fundamental Vocation
- Touched by the Master
- A Man, a Dog, and the Ultimate Love
- The essence of evangelization: Loving God and our neighbours
- Loving Our Enemies and Reconciling with Others
- A Powerful Prayer for Healing: You Are The LORD Who Heals Me
- Living a Life of Love: Mother Teresa’s Legacy
- Living a Life of Love: Lessons from the New Testament
- In The Shadows Of Darkness, A Powerful Force Is At Work
- 19 Pastoral Orientations for Parish Renewal and Growth
- The Missionary Renewal of Catechesis
- Characteristics of missionary parishes
- Powerful healing prayer attributed to St. Padre Pio
- We are called to share our faith with others
- Should we seek to grow the Church?
- Find a Need and Fill It – Revealing God’s Heart in the Community
- 15 Habits to Evangelize on a Daily Basis
- The Church’s Mission
- Three Barriers to Building An Invitational Culture In Your Parish
- The Relational Evangelizer
- Doing Church at Home
- The Blind Girl
- A Group of Frogs
- The Elephant Rope
- A Shared Faith is a Growing Faith
- In The Shoes Of The Unchurched
- Parish Evangelizing Cells
- Six Unique Features of Missional Parishes
- Steps Towards Becoming A Missional Parish
- What Is Evangelization, And How Should It Be Carried Out?
- Discussion And Self-Assessment Questions For Parish Evangelization
- A Missional Church Is A Church That Prays
- The Jesus Prayer: A Method To Pray At All Times
- What can help children raised Catholic continue practicing the faith as adults?
- An Example of a Missionary Parish: Phoenix First Assembly of God
- Satan’s Tactics
- Learning to Be a Missionary
- When we cry out to God, he answers
- Presence and Proclamation
- Saving those who are lost
- Saint-Nazaire Parish: The story of a missionary transformation
- Small Groups and Evangelization
- Evangelizing By Inviting People To Receive Jesus As Lord And Saviour
- You Will Receive Power…
- Have You Heard About the Law of Three Hearings and Seven Touches?
- Three Habits of a Fruitful Christian Life