Saint Mother Teresa dedicated her life to helping the poor and the needy. She believed that serving the poorest of the poor was one of the greatest expressions of love and encouraged everyone to find ways to do the same in their communities by being compassionate to those around them.
Through her life and her teachings, she taught life-changing lessons: one of them is that the greatest disease in our society today is being unwanted, unloved, and uncared for: “We can cure physical diseases with medicine, but the only cure for loneliness, despair, and hopelessness is love”.
Helping others is not just about giving money. Money is not enough she would say, people need our hearts to love them: “spread love everywhere you go: first of all in your own home. Give love to your children, to your wife or husband, to a next-door neighbour. . . Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier. Be the living expression of God’s kindness; kindness in your face, kindness in your eyes, kindness in your smile, kindness in your warm greeting. Help one person at a time and always start with the person nearest you”.
In keeping with Mother Teresa’s teachings, here are three ways to show love:
- Practice compassion: Challenge yourself by spreading love and kindness everywhere you go. This can mean being more mindful of how you interact with those around you, and making a conscious effort to be compassionate and understanding, especially to those in need.
- Serve those in need: Challenge yourself to serve others, particularly those who are marginalized and isolated. This can mean volunteering your time and resources, or simply being there for someone who is feeling lonely or hopeless.
- Start with those closest to you: Follow Mother Teresa’s advice and start by helping those nearest to you. This can mean reaching out to friends, family, or neighbours in need, or making an effort to support those who are close to you in your everyday life.
† Let’s pray:
We come to you today inspired by the life and teachings of Saint Mother Teresa. We are grateful for her unwavering commitment to serving you in the poor and the needy, and for her belief that love and compassion are the cure for loneliness, despair, and hopelessness.
Help us to practice compassion and kindness around us, and to be the living expression of your love and grace. Challenge us to help those in need, particularly the marginalized and isolated, and to be a source of hope and encouragement to those who are feeling lonely or hopeless.
Remind us to start with those closest to us, to reach out to friends, family, and neighbours in need, and to be a source of support and comfort in our everyday lives. Thank you for the gifts you pour into our lives, and for the guidance you provide through your Holy Spirit. We pray this in the name of Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior.
Director of Pastoral Work
- 19 Pastoral Orientations for Parish Renewal and Growth
- The Missionary Renewal of Catechesis
- Characteristics of missionary parishes
- Powerful healing prayer attributed to St. Padre Pio
- We are called to share our faith with others
- Should we seek to grow the Church?
- Find a Need and Fill It – Revealing God’s Heart in the Community
- 15 Habits to Evangelize on a Daily Basis
- The Church’s Mission
- Three Barriers to Building An Invitational Culture In Your Parish
- The Relational Evangelizer
- Doing Church at Home
- The Blind Girl
- A Group of Frogs
- The Elephant Rope
- A Shared Faith is a Growing Faith
- In The Shoes Of The Unchurched
- Parish Evangelizing Cells
- Six Unique Features of Missional Parishes
- Steps Towards Becoming A Missional Parish
- What Is Evangelization, And How Should It Be Carried Out?
- Discussion And Self-Assessment Questions For Parish Evangelization
- A Missional Church Is A Church That Prays
- The Jesus Prayer: A Method To Pray At All Times
- What can help children raised Catholic continue practicing the faith as adults?
- An Example of a Missionary Parish: Phoenix First Assembly of God
- Satan’s Tactics
- Learning to Be a Missionary
- When we cry out to God, he answers
- Presence and Proclamation
- Saving those who are lost
- Saint-Nazaire Parish: The story of a missionary transformation
- Small Groups and Evangelization
- Evangelizing By Inviting People To Receive Jesus As Lord And Saviour
- You Will Receive Power…
- Have You Heard About the Law of Three Hearings and Seven Touches?
- Three Habits of a Fruitful Christian Life