Learning to be a missionary takes place in a context and attitude of love for people who do not know or follow Christ. It requires being open to the ideas and perspectives of others and suspending our personal, cultural and religious ideas to listen to their experience. The path to mission is paved with compassion and empathy.
Learning to be a missionary also means trying to see our parishes through the eyes of the unchurched, feeling their hearts when they participate in our celebrations, putting ourselves in their shoes when they visit our church for the first time. Would they understand the vocabulary used in the homily? Would someone notice their presence and make them feel welcome? If we want to become a missional Church, should we not conceive and foster for them a church experience that is exciting, personal, welcoming, relevant and that allows an encounter with the sacred, an encounter with Jesus living and dwelling among us? Let us draw from God’s infinite reserve of mercy for the suffering and the lost and share the Gospel with actions and words that will touch their hearts.
And as we see our society and its lifestyles modelled on materialism, consumerism, hedonism and the accumulation of wealth, may we be brave enough to seek God’s interests which are peace, reconciliation, love and the eternal salvation of our neighbours. Yes, may we lay it all down and follow Jesus.
We pray that this pastoral year will be one of broadening and deepening our outward focus towards those who do not know or do not follow Christ so that we not only talk about mission and evangelization but that we find and implement ways to respond boldly, in deeds and words, to the spiritual poverty and hunger of those around us.
Pierre-Alain Giffard, Director of Pastoral Work
- 15 Habits to Evangelize on a Daily Basis
- The Church’s Mission
- Three Barriers to Building An Invitational Culture In Your Parish
- The Relational Evangelizer
- Doing Church at Home
- The Blind Girl
- A Group of Frogs
- The Elephant Rope
- A Shared Faith is a Growing Faith
- In The Shoes Of The Unchurched
- Parish Evangelizing Cells
- Six Unique Features of Missional Parishes
- Steps Towards Becoming A Missional Parish
- What Is Evangelization, And How Should It Be Carried Out?
- Discussion And Self-Assessment Questions For Parish Evangelization
- A Missional Church Is A Church That Prays
- The Jesus Prayer: A Method To Pray At All Times
- What can help children raised Catholic continue practicing the faith as adults?
- An Example of a Missionary Parish: Phoenix First Assembly of God
- Satan’s Tactics
- Learning to Be a Missionary
- When We Cry Out To God, He Answers
- Presence and Proclamation
- Saving Those Who Are Lost
- Saint-Nazaire Parish: The story of a missionary transformation
- Small Groups and Evangelization
- Evangelizing By Inviting People To Receive Jesus As Lord And Saviour
- You Will Receive Power…
- Have You Heard About the Law of Three Hearings and Seven Touches?
- Three Habits of a Fruitful Christian Life